Webinar Key Takeaways: Opportunity Zone Investing in Silicon Valley
by Angela S. Hwang, on Sep 11, 2020 5:57:42 PM
Urban Catalyst Founder Erik Hayden recently sat down with OpportunityDb’s Jimmy Atkinson to discuss all things Opportunity Zones, and why Urban Catalyst is determined to revitalize downtown San Jose.
In this webinar, Erik touched upon what differentiates Urban Catalyst from other real estate funds. After all, we’re not just fund managers – we’re hands-on developers for all seven of our downtown San Jose projects.
Other key takeaways include:
- Opportunity Zone tax benefits - Some call the OZ program a “once-in-a-lifetime” tax advantage – and with good reason. Investors with eligible tax gains (sale of a stock, business, or real estate) qualify for the following tax benefits if they invest into an OZ fund within 180 days:
- Deferment of federal capital gains taxes for six years
- Ten percent discount on federal capital gains taxes
- Ten-year exemption from federal taxes on fund profits.
- Why we’re crazy about San Jose - It’s no secret that Silicon Valley’s tech migration fosters a rare opportunity to invest in ground-up development in San Jose. Even amidst the current pandemic, Bloomberg deemed San Jose one of the best-positioned U.S. cities to recover from COVID-19’s economic impact. All this, paired with San Jose State University’s 36,000 student population, revamping the downtown is a win-win for everyone.
- A closer look at our seven projects - We’re hitting our milestones and beginning the construction of our seven properties in 2021 and can’t wait to get started! To help minimize the risk to our investors, we have a diverse portfolio of assets ranging from office spaces to multi-family units, student housing, senior housing, and hotels.
- Why our team is an All-Star team - Comprised of both developers and fund managers, our well-seasoned management team has been on all sides of the table. We know firsthand the importance of keeping investors updated, informed, and poised for profit while ensuring our community remains a place residents can take pride in calling home.